LEDs brighten the holidays
Light-emitting diode (LED) technology has become increasingly popular. The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) estimates that within 10 years, LED lighting will overtake incandescent and compact fluorescent technologies to become the lighting solution of choice in American homes.
In recent years, LED holiday lights have been one of the seasonís hottest items for retailers and consumers alike. Why are these energy-efficient decorations so popular? LED holiday lights significantly reduce energy use, are safer, and allow more convenient bulb replacement.
There are a variety of advantages to using LED lighting technology compared to standard incandescent lights. ENERGY STAR qualified LEDs are:
- More energy efficient. LED holiday lights use up to 90 percent less energy than standard mini lights and up to 99 percent less energy than standard C-7 holiday lights.
- Longer lasting. LED lights can last up to 200,000 hours when used indoors, and some manufacturers provide a five-year warranty.
- More convenient. LED holiday lights are available in 35- to 100-bulb strings in a variety of colors. If one LED burns out, the rest of the string stays lit so customers can find and replace the bulb easily.
- Safer and sturdier. LEDs are cool to the touch and nearly impossible to break.
- Versatile. Some models offer features such as dimming and color shifting.